Nowadays, travel is an important aspect of most people’s lives. Millions of people all over the country travel daily for work, family, and entertainment purposes. Many passengers prefer to travel in a coach bus. It's cheap when compared to car or airplane travel, and it's easy to squeeze in a nap or even work during the trip. In addition, buses are extremely environmentally-friendly. For example, it would take about 10 cars to transport the same amount of passengers as this 44-passenger coach bus can. Less vehicles mean less carbon emission, it’s that simple!
But when it comes to choosing a means of transportation, convenience and cost are not the only factors that should be taken into account, safety should also be considered. While bus travel is incredibly comfortable and cost-efficient, the question still remains: are charter buses safe? The answer is yes! Buses, according to statistics, are the second safest (after airplanes) means of travel. Here are a few reasons why:
Bus Drivers are Certified and Well Trained
Charter bus companies are very careful with who they hire. Almost all bus or charter companies require their drivers to have a Commercial Driver's License (CDL). Bus driving qualifications are not as easy to achieve as they may seem. In addition to a regular driving record check, there are numerous tests, checks, and exams that drivers must take. Even after getting a CDL, they are still required to get a physical every two years. Since car drivers do not have to undergo these thorough and rigorous tests, CDL is one of the key components of coach bus safety.
But having a CDL is not always enough to get the bus driver job. The requirements vary from one transporter company to another, but usually, there are background checks, alcohol and drug tests, and more driver's skills test that occurs during the interview. This way, charter bus companies can be sure that their employees are not only certified but also skilled and experienced for this important job.
It's incredibly reassuring for the passengers to have an experienced and properly trained professional driver. This is why many charter bus companies invest in further training of their drivers. This way, not only is the safety of passengers at its maximum but also the trip itself can go as quickly and smoothly as possible (all within the boundaries of the speed limits, of course).
With all of these factors considered, commercial bus drivers are some of the best and most experienced drivers on the road.
Buses Are Maintained and Inspected Regularly
Another added level of safety is the charter bus regulations. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has very strict and precise standards for maintenance procedures. Every modern transportation company follows these guidelines, as every bus gets an annual inspection by a certified technician.
In addition to the annual inspection by the FMCSA, buses get checked before and after every trip. Mechanics will carefully look for any kind of malfunction or damage done to the vehicle. Also, the condition of emergency exits, the integrity of the hull, and the inside of the bus are subjects of these inspections.
Charter buses also undergo a thorough cleaning procedure. COVID-19 precautions are also enforced by charter bus companies. This is why, in addition to regular cleaning, a sanitizer is applied, and both the staff and the passengers have to wear masks while on the bus.
This high level of charter bus safety is hard to achieve in your car. This is why car accidents occur more often than bus accidents. Also, due to incredibly thorough and regular inspections, buses tend to serve much longer and tend to have fewer malfunctions compared to cars.
There Are Safety Features Built-in
Another reason why coach buses are safer is the construction of vehicles. Here are some of the most essential features that ensure the safety of charter buses:
- The size. First and most obvious: the bigger the vehicle, the harder it is to miss on the road, even in limited visibility conditions.
- The frame. Usually, incredibly hard steel is used in the construction of a charter bus. The frame itself has an ergonomic design, adding to the maneuverability and stability of the bus. The sides of the construction are reinforced to add durability.
- The seats. Every seat in a bus has cushions and seat belts. The stability and safety of the person sitting in it are at their maximum in case of a collision, thanks to careful engineering. Just don't forget to fasten your seatbelts!
- The windows. Not only do some of the windows serve as emergency exits, but all of them are glazed to create fewer shards in case of an accident. This way, no passenger will get cut by the glass in case of breakage.
- The position of the passengers. Due to the big size of the wheels, every person in the bus is positioned higher above the ground than the rooftops of some of the cars passing by. This greatly adds to the safety of passengers, as in the case of a collision, every person on the bus will be way above the danger.
Looking for a Trusted Charter Bus Company?
Even though all of the above became a standard for the majority of modern coach rental companies, it’s still crucial to check for these things. We at Infinity Transportation always make the safety of our passengers our top priority, this is why we are among the best charter bus companies in Chicago. By hiring us for your next group bus travel, you can rest assured that the trip will be as safe as it can be. Give us a call at any time to book a bus for your upcoming event!